Monsignor Dr. William Yore was educated at Carlow College. Following his ordination to the priesthood, he was appointed chaplain at Kilmainham Prison. Yore consecrated the ground at Glasnevin cemetery when it was first opened in 1832, and in 1847 was entrusted with the marshalling of the funeral of Daniel O'Connell, the founder of Glasnevin Cemetery.
Monsignor Yore is credited with contributions to the foundation of a number of Catholic Charities in Ireland; however, he is probably best known as co-founder of the Catholic Institute for the Deaf and Dumb, now known as St. Joseph's School for the Deaf. It is claimed that he sold all of the books in his own private library in order to raise the money needed to found the school.
Monsignor Yore died 13 February 1864, in the thirty-third year of his priesthood, and is interred in the prestigious O'Connell's Circle at Glasnevin.
Details on Yore's marker
*Click on photographs to view larger version.
All Photographs ©Copyright J.Geraghty-Gorman 2011.
O'Duffy, R. J.. Historic Graves in Glasnevin Cemetery, James Duffy and Company, Limited, Dublin, 1915.